Hi list

I have a bit of a weird issue.  I recently acquired a used server (Fujitsu
Primergy TX140 S1) via a friend of mine.  I have Gentoo installed on it now
and overall it works fine save for one perplexing issue [0]: The bootloader
hangs when booting without a keyboard attached.  I tried it with both GRUB and
systemd-boot (which works nicely in combination with kernel-install); both
only work with a keyboard attached.  GRUB hangs when the countdown starts,
while systemd-boot hangs when the cursor first appears, but before the boot
entries are listed.  In both cases the cursor freezes.

I'm curious if anybody has seen this issue before and/or has any idea how to
solve it.  The only resources I could find online that seem related are [1]
(different OS, no resolution, hints at BIOS), [2] (which provides a potential
solution, though I'm not sure whether I can actually implement it), and [3]
(the patch didn't help).  There was also a related systemd bug at [4].

I updated the BIOS, but that helped as much as anticipated, that is, not at
all (it was at the penultimate version already).  I also tried unplugging the
display in case the BIOS was expecting a keyboard then.

Any help is much appreciated.

[0] Well, there's a second one, too, but I'll have to see if it shows up
again.
[1]
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/66696/nas4free-freebsd-wont-make-it-past-bootloader-without-keyboard
[2]