On Saturday, 14 July 2018 11:40:03 BST Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 4:30 AM Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:
> > On Friday, 6 July 2018 06:34:01 BST Davyd McColl wrote:
> > > 1) `sync-depth` has been deprecated (should now use `clone-depth`)
> >
> > But to what value should clone-depth be set?
>
> That comes down to personal taste.  Do you want any history to be able
> to browse it?  More depth means more history.  If all you want is the
> current tree without history then you want a depth of 1...

That's all I need for the portage tree, unless removing everything at lower
depths will remove the change records.

> ...and of course you'll need to set up a cron job or something to go
> cleaning up past history (you never NEED more than the last commit).  If you
> browse the online git repo you can see about how many commits there are in a
> day and estimate how many you want based on how many days you want.
>
> Also, this value only matters for the first sync.  After that portage
> currently doesn't try to discard past commits, and it will always
> fetch all commits between your current state and the new head.
>
> If you want you could set up a script to manually purge history, and
> then do an initial sync with 1 depth.  Then anytime you sync you could
> review the history since the last time you synced, and then run the
> purge command to discard all history up to the current commit.  In
> doing this you'll always see all the history since the last time you
> reviewed it.

Is there something in git to do that purging? If not, perhaps a simple monthly
script to delete /usr/portage/* - but not packages or distfiles, which are on
separate partitions here - would do the trick.

--
Regards,
Peter.