On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 8:37 PM Davyd McColl <dav...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dr Valdés, I'd really like to know more. Are you using a compositor; what
desktop environment?

​I use GNOME 3.24.2, with gnome-shell (which uses a compositor).​ Also, I
run Wayland, not "classic" X.

​> ​
If I had had the positive experience you speak of, I would adopt Nouveau in
a heartbeat. Nvidia has clearly shown their lack of interest in the Linux
community by shunning higher console resolutions, leaving a display port
blanking bug unresolved for about 2 years and haphazardly fixing bugs with
features reported to be working on miscellaneous branches of the driver,
unreleased to the unwashed masses (read up about Vulkan support, esp vs
Rise of the Tomb Raider).

​I do not play modern AAA games on Linux. Nouveau works with 2D
acceleration and basic OpenGL, but I don't think it can handle something
like Tomb Raider or Mad Max.

> I would accept a framerate hit for an open-source driver. But rebooting
my main machine daily is off the cards. If I wanted that, I'd use that
other OS. I develop on that other OS, but my development machine  can be
rebooted any time. My home machine has shit to get done.

​Nouveau (in my experience) is rock solid and fast for desktop use.
However, it doesn't work​ for gaming, AFAIK.

​Regards.
--
Dr. Canek Peláez Valdés
Profesor de Carrera Asociado C