On 10/08/18 10:46, Dale wrote:
> Wols Lists wrote:
>> On 08/08/18 04:43, Dale wrote:
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> I just bought two external drive enclosures.  One is sort of a spare but

>>> It has power.  I'm not sure where I'd put a fridge, even a tiny one.  I
>>> wish it was twice as big as it is.  Of course, I'd fill that up in no
>>> time too.  Isn't that the way it works?  ROFL
>>>
>>> I'm getting interesting ideas tho.  Pondering that backup software
>>> option too.  It has its pluses.  ;-)
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>
>>> :-)  :-)

I would think the cost of setting it up and running a fridge would add
up to hard drive cost over a couple of years anyway (at least for what
we pay in Western Australia :)  In a humid environment you would need to
be very careful of condensation, and a sealed system will still need a
way to transfer the heat as if the cooling fails, it will cook itself
very fast

I have the fans set to spin up faster at 35c and above.  Without the
fans they sit around 45c on a typical day and use.  I have found that in
an enclosure its just as important to have good conduction of heat
(disks mounted to the metal frame) and clear the heated air out of the
enclosure as flowing air over the disks.

Here it gets to 40c+ (>100F) and sometimes humid (not far from the
ocean).  Cooling is fans only, and I have 4 WD Green, 2 WD red and two
seagates (all 2G, in 2x btrfs raid 10) and a few intel and samsung SSD's
(for bcache and system disks) that run ~16 hrs a day with no failures
for the last few years (~10).

Sometimes its better to play the odds.

BillK