Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> On 10/08/18 10:46, Dale wrote:
>> Wols Lists wrote:

> I would think the cost of setting it up and running a fridge would add
> up to hard drive cost over a couple of years anyway (at least for what
> we pay in Western Australia :)  In a humid environment you would need to
> be very careful of condensation, and a sealed system will still need a
> way to transfer the heat as if the cooling fails, it will cook itself
> very fast

I actually have a couple of those really small fridges that I could
use.  I have one in the house that I store seeds in.  The problem is
space.  The little out building is pretty full.  There is no shelf space
and very little floor space.  I'm just not sure where I could put it
since it requires some room for the coils to shed their heat.  I'll have
to check into it more.

> I have the fans set to spin up faster at 35c and above.  Without the
> fans they sit around 45c on a typical day and use.  I have found that in
> an enclosure its just as important to have good conduction of heat
> (disks mounted to the metal frame) and clear the heated air out of the
> enclosure as flowing air over the disks.
>
> Here it gets to 40c+ (>100F) and sometimes humid (not far from the
> ocean).  Cooling is fans only, and I have 4 WD Green, 2 WD red and two
> seagates (all 2G, in 2x btrfs raid 10) and a few intel and samsung SSD's
> (for bcache and system disks) that run ~16 hrs a day with no failures
> for the last few years (~10).
>

> Sometimes its better to play the odds.
>
> BillK

If you have those drives in use with those temps, I should be fine
here.  When I put the drives in the outbuilding, they won't be powered
up or anything.  They can handle more when powered off than they can
when powered up and in use.  While I still want to avoid heat, that real
world info does help a lot.  If I recall correctly, we have similar
weather as well.  I don't live close to the ocean but when the winds
come from the south, the moisture gets here soon enough.  I live about
250 miles from the gulf coast.  For weather tho, it doesn't take long
for heat or moisture to go that far.  The biggest thing, the salt part
is gone by the time it gets here.  ;-)

One thing about the enclosure I got, it has a fan on it.  It moves a
fair amount of air.  Drives don't use much power so it doesn't take a
whole lot of air flow to get the job done.  Here is a link to one like I
have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132706512662

One reason I got it, someone else using Linux said it worked for them.
Since I only use Linux, good deal.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)