On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 20:40 +0200, Sascha Lucas wrote:
> > I've added it to my /etc/make.conf:
> >
> > camille linux # cat /etc/make.conf | grep 'ALSA_CARDS'
> > ALSA_CARDS="intel8x0"
>
> You must chose to use in kernel driver or the external provided by
> sound/alsa-driver. See http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml.
>
> ALSA_CARDS="intel8x0" indicates you want sound/alsa-driver. But your grep
> in kernel .config indicates the kernel driver.
>
> Read the URL above and skip the part about "Using the ALSA Driver
> package" in section 2.
>
> Sascha.
>

>From the Gentoo ALSA Guide (link above):

Note:  If you activated ALSA in your kernel and did not compile ALSA as
modules, please proceed to the ALSA Initscript section. The rest of you
need to configure ALSA. This is made very easy by the existence of the
alsaconf tool provided by alsa-utils.

I compiled support for my card as a module.  Does this still apply?