Hi Klaus,

On 2018-10-05 07:55, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
Currently I suffer from the bad haskell hell. I need the current git-annex that is only available in the haskell overlay.

(...)

Isn't there a way to escape the haskell dependency hell? Is there a clean way to compile and use haskell stuff? That is a real nightmare.

first of all, let me tell you that I am not a Haskell expert and the following is only based on my personal experience.

I had similar problems with using pandoc, which also guides me in the "Haskell hell", as you call it. However, since I added 'dev-haskell/*' into my package.keywords, I have not experienced anything problematic anymore.

As for rebuilds and preserved libs, sometimes (rarely) after big updates I get segmentation faults and the like with Haskell packages. Since I have "buildpkg" in my FEATURES, I can do the following: Remove the complete dev-haskell folder in my bin-package directory, plus maybe the packages, that depend on them, so app-text/pandoc or dev-vcs/git-annex. And then I recompile every package, that does not have a binary package present. This way, even if some packages fail because of OOM or the like, I can just continue where I left off, because the succeeded ebuilds created binary packages.

I have never used haskell-updater, I never needed to.

So, to summarize:

-   dev-haskell/* to package.keywords
-   use buildpkg when compiling/upgrading haskell

Disclaimer: Your experience MAY vary. ;-)

--
Regards

Flo