On Monday, November 12, 2018 7:24:11 AM CET Dale wrote:
> J. Roeleveld wrote:
> > On Sunday, November 11, 2018 11:07:23 PM CET Dale wrote:
> >> So, I wanted a stand alone scanner that I hope will last me a long
> >> time.  Plus, this scanner can do negatives and such with a adapter which
> >> I can get later.
> >
> > I tried that once, the quality of the results was really bad. I ended up
> > borrowing a proper negative-scanner from a colleague. That was a
> > windows-only one, but the quality of the scans more than made up for
> > having to use that. (And using VirtualBox, I got better performance, eg.
> > scanspeed, than when using windows native)
>
> I have to admit, I have very little negatives.  The ones I have may be
> so old they are not worth anything.  I tend to take better care of pics
> than negatives for some reason.  Still, as long as the scanner will give
> me several years of service, I'll be happy.  I just don't want a
> scanner/printer pile with only parts of each one working.  I don't have
> enough room as it is.  lol

Same here, which is why I was glad a colleague had one I could borrow.
Ran through the whole collection in 4 weeks (evenings) and no need to do it
again.

> >> Also, I plan to get a color laser printer later on.
> >> From what I've read, they can last for many years and it's cheaper for
> >> the toner than all those cartridges etc for ink jets.
> >
> > I got a colour laser all-in-one, it's nearly 8 years old and not had any
> > problems with it. Would like to replace it for a double-sided (print and
> > scan) version though.
>
> Just curious, are there any good or bad brands to avoid?  I've tried to
> stick with HP for scanners/printers since they are usually supported,
> but not always.

I never had driver issues with HP, so tend to stick with them.

> >> Now if someone local wanted to give me something that is like a fancy
> >> copy machine that prints, scans and maybe even washes dishes, I'd take
> >> it.  I'm not sure where I would put it but still.  ;-)
> >
> > Try old office buildings, they do remove them as cost-saving exercises on
> > occasion, you might be able to pick one up? (you do have a big
> > car/van/truck to move it?)
>
> I have a friend that has one.  I have one but need to get it running
> again.  Starter, radiator and a couple other issues to deal with.
> Starter is the first hurdle tho.

Had to think this through a few times. As we're talking about printer/
scanners, I was wondering what kind of beast has a starter and radiator...

> >> One thing I've figured out.  Cheaper on the front end, pay for it on the
> >> backend.  Pay a little more on the front end, more dependable and
> >> cheaper later on consumables.  Hey, at least I'm figuring it out.  lol
> >
> > It's a hard lesson to learn, but once learned, it sticks. :)
> >
> > --
> > Joost
> >
> > PS. glad your mom is doing fine
>
> Yep.  I've also learned that the more heads, usually the better plan.
> That's why I have that other thread about storing all my videos.  Geez,
> I got a TON of videos.  If I started watching them 24/7, it would take
> me about 2 years to get through them all.  I'm adding to them quite often.

You're going off-list for 2 years?

--
Joost