Dale wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm on the hunt for a scanner, flatbed type, and have been browsing Ebay
> and the sane project list of supported devices.  I'm leaning toward HP
> on this.  While looking at say a ScanJet 6200C, it says the drivers are
> no longer maintained but complete.  It leads me to this question.  Does
> that mean they are complete and fixes will no longer be made even if
> something breaks them and they need a little tweaking OR they are
> complete and if a bug pops up, they will be fixed as needed but all
> functions work?  I can see the logic either way on this.  I'm leaning
> toward the side that if something pops up that requires a little
> tweaking, it will be done by someone.  The drivers are just feature
> complete.
>
> Does anyone else have the same thinking or is buying one of these
> scanners a bad idea if the drivers were to break and the scanner was
> rendered no longer usable?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

I got my HP scanjet 4570c in today.  No wonder the shipping was so
high.  The person I bought it from on Ebay packed it in one large box
and wrapped it in bubble wrap.  It took me a while to find the power
adapter.  While looking for it, I also found the data cable.  Anyway,
I've scanned quite a few pics already and it is doing good.  At first, I
had trouble getting 2400DPI to work.  I scanned quite a few pics at
1200DPI with no issues but decided to try 2400DPI again.  For some
reason, it worked and I scanned a few pics with that setting.  I'm going
back to 1200DPI since 2400GPI is a bit much, takes to long too.  ;-)

If anyone runs up on one of these scanner, it works well.  I haven't
tried the buttons tho.  I've used Xsane, Skanlite and Simple Scan
software.  Each has its own benefits but right now, I'm using Skanlite.
It is fairly fast and does what I need by default.  Other pics may
require something more complicated but it works well for now.

Thanks to all for the tips and advice.  Now to get a printer.  Plan to
upgrade memory and CPU first tho.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)