On Thursday, 29 November 2018 18:36:11 GMT wabe wrote:
> Daniel Frey <djqf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I left the laptop sitting without logging in and when I came back
> > > ten minutes later I saw that Xorg started.
> >
> > I found this in the log:
> >
> > [   298.914537] random: crng init done
> > [   298.914542] random: 5 urandom warning(s) missed due to
> > ratelimiting
> >
> > So about five minutes after boot the random number finished
> > initializing and the Xorg started right after.
>
> You could install sys-apps/haveged.
>
> I really don't know if this will solve your actual problem, but maybe
> it helps to speed up the random generation.

If you'd read the part you snipped, you'd have seen that Dan had indeed tried
haveged and it worked.

Thank you, Dan. I hadn't heard of it, but your report immediately suggested I
try it to reduce the wait while chronyd started, on two machines here. Worked
like a charm: no waiting for enough entropy to be collected.

--
Regards,
Peter.