On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 10:38 +0200, Sascha Lucas wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Michael Sullivan wrote:
>
> > Can this be done with genkernel?  I've always used genkernel in the
> > past.  All attempts at building and installing kernels manually have
>
> yes you can use genkenel. I also use it. And it's wrong that genkernel is
> only for wimps :-). It's also for the lazy (saves you typing some
> commands).
>
> You may run following commands, just a try:
>
> # mv /etc/kernels/* /tmp
> # genkernel --menuconfig kernel
>
> In the menuconfig enable your sound-card as module if not allready:
>
> Symbol: SND_HDA_INTEL [=m]
> Location:
>    -> Device Drivers
>       -> Sound
>          -> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
>             -> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (SND [=m])
>                -> PCI devices
>
> after this you have a fresh kernel in /boot. Make shure you have a line in
> your grub.conf like this:
>
> title=GNU/Linux (2.6.13-gentoo-r3)
>    root (hd0,1)
>    kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.13-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/hda2
>
> please adopt the root () statment, the root= paramter and the kernel
> version to your needs.
>
> If not allready merge the gentoolkit:
>
> # emerge gentoolkit
>
> then look for alsa packages:
>
> # equery list alsa*
>
> It's ok to have installed media-libs/alsa-lib media-sound/alsa-utils
> and media-sound/alsa-headers. Make shure to remove sound/alsa-driver.
>
> # emerge -C sound/alsa-driver
>
> Configure /etc/modules.d/alsa. You just have to edit one line in this
> file. To get the orginal version type:
>
> # cp /usr/portage/media-sound/alsa-utils/files/alsa-modules.conf-rc
> /etc/modules.d/alsa
>
> Then set the line to look like this: alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
>
> Finaly run:
>
> # modules-update
>
> Thats all. Cross your fingers and reboot.
>
> Sascha.

It didn't go.  I did everything you said, but when I booted with the new
kernel it gave me a kernel panic.  It said something about not being
able to find the root fs.  Should there be an initrd line?  Also, I
saved the output of the genkernel script.  I mv'd the files
from /etc/kernel to /tmp, but I still saw this line in the genkernel
output:

* Linux Kernel 2.6.13-gentoo-r3 for x86...
* kernel: >> Running mrproper...
* config: Using config from /usr/share/genkernel/x86/kernel-config-2.6
*         Previous config backed up to .config.bak
*         >> Running oldconfig...

Should this be happening?