On 10/20/05, Mike Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thursday 20 October 2005 16:44, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > I don't use initrd's at all. I doubt you need one for your machine.
>
> If the default kernel config genkernel supplies doesn't compile all the
> appropriate drivers in, he'll need to use the initrd/initramfs generated.
> It's fairly obvious Michael does need to, unless he can reconfigure the kernel
> to suit his needs more specifically.

OK, right. I only meant that I haven't seen anything in his specific
hardware that makes me think he *has* to have one. Unless I missed
something, which happens every day, it's a pretty standard, if modern,
PC. It should be possible to build everything into the kernel so no
initrd is required, if he wants to do it that way.

I know he's nervous about building kernels. He'll be much better off
if he gets past that. (My opinion only.)

- Mark