On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 11:31 AM Laurence Perkins <lperk...@openeye.net> wrote:

> If it's just that the SSD is failing, then get a new one before
> something important gets damaged and you have to redo the whole thing.

IMO any kind of storage device should be treated as if it could fail
at any time without warning.  You should have a plan for what you will
do WHEN this happens, not IF it happens.

If losing a storage device would result in you losing "something
important" then you're doing it wrong.

I keep all my spinning disks in some kind of RAID unless their
contents are completely expendable (ie I won't be upset if I
completely lose it).  For SSDs I generally do frequent rsync or
zfs-send backups to a spinning disk - these are generally used for OS
data which doesn't change as much anyway, and the backups are quick
since they aren't large.  If I had large SSDs I'd run them in some
sort of RAID.

And of course anything I consider really important gets backed up to
the cloud, encrypted.  RAID is more about avoiding downtime and the
inconvenience of an offline restore.

--
Rich