On 10/21/05, Michael Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 11:25 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
<SNIP>
> > I cannot explain it, other than to say I'd probably do the following
> > if this was my box:
> >
> > 1) ls -al /lib/modules  and ensure that there is only
> > /lib/modules/2.6.13-gentoo-r3
> >
> > 2) rm -rf /lib/modules/2.6.13-gentoo-r3  to completely remove all the
> > existing modules.
> >
> > 3) cd /usr/src/linux
> >
> > 4) make clean
> >
> > 5) make && make modules_install
> >
> > 6) Copy over the new kernel, check that /lib/modules has the new
> > modules, then reboot and test again.
> >
> > My real suspicion here is that 2.6.14-gentoo-r3 doesn't actually have
> > support for this card, or that the card is not well supported at all.
> > Using Google I get very few results for snd_intel_hda
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark
> >

> OK.  Now that  I've replaced the modules I can modprobe my sound card,
> but not I'm back to the problem of unmuting it.  Does alsamixer keep
> detailed logs anywhere, or is there a means to unmute my card that
> doesn't rely on alsamixer and does keep logs?

Michael,
   Please clarify. Are you sating that the set of actions outlined
above worked? That would be a good step forward. Congrats.

   OK, as for unmuting the card, some cards work with alsamixer. Many do not.

   Can you provide the output of lsmod. I'd very much like to see the
drivers that are loaded.

   As you have been through the ringer on this one I suggest the following:

1) rm /etc/asound.state      This gets rid of old settings and allows
you to store clean stuff.

2) Run alsamixer and let us know what it says. If alsamixer doesn't
work then you may need to run amixer at the command line to unmute
your card. I'll let you slog through the man page on that one. amixer
commands can be placed in /etc/conf.d/local.start if needed. For
instance, possibly

amixer -c 0 unmute

NOTE: This will only work if the card is listed under /proc/asound/cards.

3) If alsamixer or amixer works at all then run

alsactrl store

which will store new data that was created by alsamixer. (And Alsa I suppose...)

As for logs from Alsa they should be in dmesg or /var/log/messages.

   You could also try doing /etc/init.d/alsasound stop and then start
from the command line and looking at what happens. In fact, it might
be wise to remove it from your default profile

rc-update del alsasound default

and start it by hand after booting until you get this all workign
correctly. This may impact Gnome/KDE so I'm not sure if it's a great
idea. Just a thought.

Hope this helps,
Mark