On Monday, 3 June 2019 23:09:40 BST n952...@web.de wrote:
> I'm sorry, I'm not getting this yet.  What if I just don't update these
> configuration files?
>
> dispatch-conf tells me, for  /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords:
>
> --- /etc/portage/package.use/zz-autounmask      2018-03-12
> 21:56:49.172491972 +0100 +++
> /etc/portage/package.use/._cfg0015_zz-autounmask    2018-07-28
> 11:08:23.725995803 +0200 @@ -1,2 +1,5 @@
>
>  >=dev-lang/python-2.7.14-r1:2.7 sqlite
>  >=sys-libs/zlib-1.2.11-r1 minizip
>
> +# required by www-misc/monitorix-3.9.0::gentoo
> +# required by monitorix (argument)
> +>=net-analyzer/rrdtool-1.6.0-r1 perl graph

If you accept the above portage will emerge net-analyzer/rrdtool-1.6.0-r1 with
USE flags 'perl' and 'graph' enabled.  This change seems to be required by
www-misc/monitorix for some functionality of rrdtool (e.g. graphing) it needs.

> I can zap it or merge it or skip it.   It looks like the emerge was
> successful, so, why should I do anything?
>
> $ rrdtool
> RRDtool 1.6.01.6.0  Copyright by Tobias Oetiker <t...@oetiker.ch>

Successful against what criteria?  If monitorix needs/wants it to be compiled
so in order to perform graphing, it may not work until you've enabled these
USE flags and re-emerged (more successfully this time) rrdtool.

> I would have thought that emerge would pend until I'd agreed to the
> override.  But, it apparently went ahead and installed. So what's required
> still?  What will be different once I make the merge to zz-autounmask?

If the changes in USE flags were hardcoded in the ebuild, because without them
an insurmountable conflict would arise, I expect portage would refuse to
emerge and complain of a hard block [B].

--
Regards,
Mick