On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 21:56:14 +0200, n952...@web.de wrote:

> Apparently, rddtool got installed with harmless, default values, which,
> however, are not sufficient for  monitorix.  So, now I can accept the
> changes, and re-emerge rddtool - or probably, emerging monitorix will
> arrange for that.

It will, portage lnows that monitorix needs rrdtool with the extra USE
flags and will take care of it, now you have given it permission.

> Then,  if someday, I get a nasty message that there's a keyword
> conflict, I'll have to sacrifice either the new package or monitorix ...
>
> In the meantime, I'll install this package and that, and some of them
> may be dependent on rrdtool.  In that case, unless they explicitly
> disallow that unmasked version, they'll use the same, possibly
> experimental, version.  When the day comes that I have to back the
> unmasked version of rrdtool out, then all other dependent packages will
> get the standard, default version again.

You aren't changing the version, this has nothing to do with keyword
masking. You will get the same version of rrdtool, but with extra
features compiled in - that's what USE flags do.

> I'm catching on, bit by bit  ;-)

It can take a while, but you would probably find it useful to read the
rest of the Gentoo Handbook. Many people read it to install and boot
their Gentoo system, but that is only the first part. The rest contains
useful information on running and maintaining a Gentoo system.

--
Neil Bothwick

A pessimist is an optimist who's given it some thought.