On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 18:00:29 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> > I feel like device-mapper should be its own package that other things
> > depend on; LVM, RAID (mdadm, et al.), multi-path, LUKS (cryptsetup).
>
> Yes, and that would fit the Unix tradition of doing one thing, and
> well. It should also be applied to crypt-setup and its friends.

Indeed, all it needs is someone willing to do the work. Now if LVM had
been written by Lennart Poettering, there would be a stampede of
volunteers to do this, witness eudev.

> > > On this box, which does need lvm for RAID-1 on two SSDs:
> > Do you /need/ LVM?  Or is it extra that comes with device-mapper?
>
> No, I do actually use lvm to base a raid-1 file system on. I haven't
> considered raid-1 without lvm; is that feasible?

Of course it is, a RAID1 device is just a block device on which you can
put any filesystem you like. RAID and LVM are complementary technologies
that work well together, but neither needs the others (apart from the
device-mapper bit).

--
Neil Bothwick

The road to HAL is paved with good intentions.