On 10/22/05, Michael Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I built and rebooted with the vanilla kernel  2.6.14-rc5 and
> started /etc/init.d/alsasound:
>
> camille ~ # /etc/init.d/alsasound start
> [ ok ] *   Loading: snd-seq-oss ...
> [ ok ] *   Loading: snd-pcm-oss ...
> [ ok ] * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
>  * No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!
> [ ok ]

rm /etc/asound.state and then try rerunning alsamixer? If that doesn't
work then remove it again, re-emerge the following packages, and try
again. I think you must be very close

dragonfly ~ #  emerge -pv alsa-tools alsa-utils alsa-lib alsa-headers
alsa-jack alsa-oss alsa-firmware

> camille ~ # emerge -vp alsa-lib alsa-utils alsa-tools
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies ...done!
> [ebuild   R   ] media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.10_rc2  +doc +jack* 0 kB
> [ebuild   R   ] media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.10_rc2  +nls 0 kB
> [ebuild   R   ] media-sound/alsa-tools-1.0.8-r1  +X 0 kB
>

> alsamixer and amixer still refuse to start.  When I restart
> /etc/init.d/alsasound it gives me an alsactl error on stopping:

When the Alsa developers update the driver for a card the numbering of
the controls often changes. For this reason any time there is a major
change to the driver you often need to delete the existing
asound.state card and create a new one that matches the driver.

I think you'll get there today. (Long slog...)

- Mark