On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 08:38 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 10/22/05, Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Are there ebuilds for alsa-firmware-1.0.10-rc2 and
> > > alsa-tools-1.0.10.rc2???  I looked in portage (I sync every night at
> > > midnight) and I didn't see them...
> >
> > I believe that alsa-firmware is only supporting the HDSP devices
> > (Digiface and Multiface) that need to have firmware loaded into them
> > before they will operate. My HDSP 9652 doesn't need it since the
> > firmware is on the card.
> >
> > I find it doubtful that this will fix your problem, but it doesn't hurt to
> > try.
> >
> > Did you do the aplay experiment?
> >
> > - Mark
> >

> Please spend some time looking at the Alsa bug report system. There
> are a number of folks having similar problems. There are currently
> 25-30 bugs reported for this device. Maybe 25% of them have been for
> no sound or alsamixer problems. A couple have solutions. It seems that
> most are waiting attention.
>
> If you think your problem matches one of theirs then add your info to
> the bug report. If you think it's different than all the ones filed
> then file a new one.
>
> One interesting report said alsamixer failed exactly like it does for
> you but he managed to get sound using ogg123. Maybe you can try that.
>
> https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1316
>
> - Mark

camille sounds # ogg123 KDE_Pop.ogg

Audio Device:   Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) output

Playing: KDE_Pop.ogg
Ogg Vorbis stream: 1 channel, 44100 Hz

Done.
camille sounds # ogg123 KDE_Desktop1.wav

Audio Device:   Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) output

Error opening KDE_Desktop1.wav using the oggvorbis module.  The file may
be corrupted.

I'll take a look at the ALSA site.  The above ogg file played (at least
the screen output said it did), but there was no sound from the
speakers.