On Thursday, 5 September 2019 21:38:16 BST james wrote:
> On 9/5/19 11:12 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> > On 04/09/2019 07:42, james wrote:
> >> I have these versions of python installed 2.7.15, 3.5.5 and 3.6.5
> >> and these settings in make.conf::
> >>
> >> ??PYTHON_TARGETS=" python2_7 python3_6"
> >> ??PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6"
> >>
> >> Sometimes it's hard to sort out the most accurate/current docs to read
> >> from the older docs, related to various issues.
> >
> > I don't set any of these. I let portage use its recommended defaults. Do
> > you have a reason to use something else?
>
> It's the way most docs suggest::
>

> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Python

As I understand this wiki page, you only need to specify a particular python
version if you require a specific slot installed, which happens to be
different from the default python slots managed by normal portage usage and
reverse dependencies of individual packages.

> Although the file was touched recently::
> This page was last edited on 3 August 2019, at 00:26.
>
> It does not seem to be agressive on the versions of Python. I try to use
> the latest 'stable' versions, as set in the make.conf file. Feel
> encourage to enlighten me on a better pathway, particulary on the
> pending (1/1/20) end to python 2.7.
>

> James

In order to use the latest stable python versions, I would remove any manually
specified python targets from make.conf, then 'emerge @preserved-rebuild',
then 'emerge --depclean -v -p' and for good measure 'revdep-rebuild'.  When
python 2.7 becomes deprecated in the future it will fall out of the portage
tree and your regular emerge will unmerge it.

--
Regards,

Mick