On Wednesday, 18 September 2019 10:10:16 BST Walter Dnes wrote:
>   I'm trying to do a video+audio capture of my desktop, e.g. a Youtube
> video playing, or whatever.  I've got video capture working, but not
> audio.  I've compiled ffmpeg with both "alsa" and "oss" USE flags and
> tried the commands...
>
> ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i hw:0 -video_size 1920x1080 -framerate 25 -f x11grab
> -i :0.0 output.mp4

The above should work, but only if your active audio card has Card ID 0.  If
your PC uses HDMI as the first card you'll need to adjust /etc/asound.conf
accordingly to switch to your analogue audio device, or perhaps try hw:1 in
the above incantation instead.

Also, check your Mic is not muted with alsamixer, or your desktop GUI
equivalent.

> ffmpeg -f oss -i /dev/dsp -video_size 1920x1080 -framerate 25 -f x11grab -i
> :0.0 output.mp4

I don't have oss experience and as I understand it pre-OSS4 is mono only(?),
but again the above ought to work, as long as there is no clash with alsa.
You may need jackd to plug in/out the requisite input devices and sinks - too
complicated for just a simple audio recording.

>   In both case the video capture works, and ffmpeg claims to be
> capturing audio, but I don't get any audio capture at all.  What am I
> doing wrong?  Any more USE flags to set?

Did you try USE="alsa, -speex"?

--
Regards,

Mick