> Hello list,
Hi,

> Having been inspired by the recent discussion of IPv6, I decided to try it,
> starting with my ISP, my Billion Bipac vDSL modem-router and one host - this
> one. Of course it isn't straightforward.
>
> Zen has allocated me a /64 ND prefix and a /48 PD prefix. I found a way to
> tell the Bipac to set up IPv6, and rebooted it; it now tells me its LAN
> address is 2a02:8010:663d:0:6203:47ff:fe2d:8eba/64. Nslookup on this host
> says
> the same, without the /64. But then this:
>
> $ ping6 vdsl
> ping: vdsl: No address associated with hostname
> $ ping6 2a02:8010:663d:0:6203:47ff:fe2d:8eba
> PING 2a02:8010:663d:0:6203:47ff:fe2d:8eba(2a02:8010:663d:0:6203:47ff:fe2d:
> 8eba) 56 data bytes
> 64 bytes from 2a02:8010:663d:0:6203:47ff:fe2d:8eba: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64
> time=1.75 ms
> ^C
>
> If I add the LAN address of the Bipac to /etc/hosts, ping finds it okay, but
> what if the address changes if the Bipac reboots? I thought this kind of
> address fixing was unnecessary in IPv6.
>
> And am I supposed to fix the IPv6 addresses of the other hosts on the LAN, or
> just stick to IPv4 for local comms? And I haven't yet even thought about the
> wireless devices served by the Bipac, though I see my mobile phone has
> acquired an IPv6 address starting with fe80::40be... and it doesn't look like
> its MAC address.
It really depends how you're setting up IPv6 on your local network.
The easiest option is if you're using stateful DHCPv6. In this case you
just need to set up your dhcp server to notify your dns server of any
new leases. If you're using static IPv6 addresses you can create a
static mapping between hostnames and addresses either in /etc/hosts or
your dns server. If you're using SLAAC, however, the only option I can
think of is to use stateless DHCPv6 to notify the DHCP server of your
client fqdn which should then sync the record with the DNS server.

--
Simon Thelen