* gentoo-u...@c-14.de:

> The easiest option is if you're using stateful DHCPv6. In this case
> you just need to set up your dhcp server to notify your dns server of
> any new leases.

That's what you consider "the easiest option"? ;-)

I usually ask the following of people starting with IPv6: Do you really
need fixed names for all nodes, or is this more of a reflex?

In my experience, home networks can usually run with only a few fixed
addresses (or rather name-to-address mappings). An old printer might
need a fixed address. A multimedia server will broadcast its services
and often does not need a fixed address. Neither do various smart-
phones. The router might need one, if it has a web UI. Something like
this might be enough:

  # /etc/hosts
  fd67:1:2:3::1 router.local  router
  fd67:1:2:3::2 printer.local printer

fd67:1:2:3::/64 is a random ULA prefix, pretty much an equivalent of
10.0.0.0/8 but much larger. Just assign a fixed ULA address to nodes
that *really* need it and share /etc/hosts across your nodes.

That, to me, is an easier option than setting up DHCPv6 and a DNS
server, both of which need to support dynamic DNS updates. Depending on
your environment, "ping6 somename.local" might work without any manual
configuration at all, as I mentioned in my previous message.

-Ralph