Mick,

On Tuesday, 2019-12-17 23:44:19 +0000, you wrote:

> And ... usually by the sys-fs/udisks package, which performs the
> automounting.
> If for some reason you have uninstalled udisks,

   $ equery --no-color list -F '$mask2,$location $fullversion:$slot $cp'
sys-fs/udisks
    * Searching for udisks in sys-fs ...
   amd64,IP- 2.8.4:2 sys-fs/udisks
   $

And before I forget:  hibernate, suspend, shutdown,  and restart also do
no longer work for an unprivileged user.   I only noticed that yesterday
evening when I pressed  the power button  which I have  configured to do
hibernation.  It only locked the screen.  However,

   # echo disk > /sys/power/state

did work.

Sincerely,
  Rainer