Hi Mark, welcome back!  :-)

On Monday, 6 January 2020 19:55:44 GMT Michael Jones wrote:
> Generally the way I've handled this situation in the past is like so (this
> is written from memory, so expect gratuitous problems).
>
> On the machine with the drive attached
> mbuffer -i /dev/mydrive | xz -e -9 | mbuffer -O hostname:port
>
> On a machine with storage space
> mbuffer -I port -o /path/to/storage.xz
>
> To make a backup.

Useful for creating a compressed backup image over the network, but not for
cloning.

> In terms of cloning windows to another harddrive in general, as long as the
> destination harddrive is large enough to fit the original drive without
> issues, simply running:
>
> dd if=/dev/original of=/dev/destination
> (I prefer dcfldd, personally)

This will take for-ever on larger disks as it will be copying all empty bits
and bytes.  Instead you may wish to try clonezilla, or partclone.

https://clonezilla.org/

Clonezilla Live will copy the whole disk or selected partitions along with
their UUIDs, so Win10 should have no idea it was just migrated.  ;-)

You'll need a USB/eSATA caddy to put your new drive in and connect it to the
candidate laptop, or fit both drives in your desktop and perform the cloning
there.  Here's the step-by-step instructions you asked for:

https://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live-doc.php

--
Regards,
Mick