On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 2:19 PM Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> <SNIP>
> > >
> > > OK, that device is pretty simple. If you set this device as the default
> > > Alsa device can you get simple audio, from YouTube for example, out
> > > through the headphone jack? We know the mic input works. If both of those
> > > work then what does discord do?
> >
> > I'm lost here. The headphone jack in the interface is just a monitor.
> > I don't think there's any connection with the headphone jack in the
> > motherboard? (I can't test it anyway with my headphones---different
> > jack sizes)
> >

> I understand the jack size difference. Your MB jack is 3.5mm, the headphone
> jack on the Behringer is 1/4". All the headphones I've purchased for years
> came with an adapter to plug into  1/4" jack but if your didn't they can be
> purchased at Amazon or general stereo/TV type stores. (Best Buy as an example
> in the U.S.) Search for "3.5mm to 1/4 adapter".

Actually, It came with an adapter, but I don't have it with me (and
the current C-plague restrictions don't make it easier). But I don't
need it to follow your suggestions, because the only 3.5mm jack is the
one of the MB, which doesn't matter.

> I'll explain the headphone monitor function in a moment. You are correct that
> the headphone jack on the Behringer has nothing to do with the headphone jack
> on the computer. The Behringer is a complete sound card with 2 inputs and 2
> output at the end of a USB cable. It has phono jack outputs on the back which
> would allow you to hook it to your stereo inputs to hear computer audio. In
> that sense it's no different than a CD player or tape deck. To use the
> outputs on the back would simply come down to telling Linux I want to use the
> Behringer USB device as my sound card and all sound would be router there.
> Once the audio is correctly going to your stereo you should also hear the
> audio over the headphone jack.

One word: AHA! (It makes a lot of difference, knowing what one is doing!)
This is the explanation the interface should come with, or at least
they should have a site with a simple diagram.

Yes, I can hear sound with the headphones connected to the headphone
out in the interface, as well as with the headphones connected to the
RCA output, via an amplifier. (I modified .asoundrc to make the USB
card the default; not a permanent solution but manageable)

I had understood the purpose of the direct monitor, but I thought
wrongly that the headphone output had no other purpose by itself.

OK, I tried both discord and slack with this setup. I can't hear the
other side. The other side can hear me on slack, not on discord.

Thanks

Jorge