On your troubled machine set up a terminal and ping google.com repeatedly
once a second. Watch to see if that actually stops when your machine is
showing problems.

You don't have to shell in from a separate machine. I just find it more
repeatable and if the machine really hangs sometimes you can regain control
without resorting to magic keys.

Good luck,
Mark