On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 8:28 PM, Michael Orlitzky <m...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 4/22/20 12:24 PM, Michael Jones wrote:
>
> > On a source-based distribution, the thing that manages package
> > installations can break itself if it incorrectly installs a library that
> > a subsequent run of itself would dynamically link against.
>
> I won't say this is impossible, but in general it hasn't been true for a
> long time in Gentoo. Old libraries are left behind until you rebuild the
> things that link against them (that's what emerge @preserved-rebuild
> does). When used correctly, subslot dependencies in ebuilds avoid the
> need for even that additional step.

just to say that some portagy thing (layman) can't
work now as emerge was rebuilding packages to
remove python3_6):

    running "layman -S"...
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/python-exec/python3.6/layman", line 36, in <module>
        from   layman.cli            import Main
      File "/usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/layman/cli.py", line 29, in
<module>
        from layman.api import LaymanAPI
      File "/usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/layman/api.py", line 25, in
<module>
        from layman.remotedb        import RemoteDB
      File "/usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/layman/remotedb.py", line 46, in
<module>
        from   sslfetch.connections     import Connector
    ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'sslfetch'

obviously solvable easily in this case, but imo
needless drama keeps coming every now and then.

imo we've also became pythonupgradophobic.  every
python upgrade becomes after a warning from
eselect news.

i look forward the day when all portagy things
get treated similar to busybox (i.e. come with
"static" USE flag by default).

that said, gentoo is still the best distro imo.
so it shall remain accursed by immortality in the
realm of undeads.