On 05/20 09:44, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Monday, May 18, 2020 8:22:52 PM CEST tu...@posteo.de wrote:
> > >
> > > According to the man page for renice, there is a --gpu flag that can be
> > > used (today I learned) that the OP may want to try as well.
> >
> > If it is a load/performance problem, why is only
> > firefox/internet-video affected?
>
> firefox might be using GPU-offloading for the video playback (decoder in GPU)
> where MPV might not use the GPU for decoding and is only CPU-bound.
>
> --
> Joost

Hi Joost,

mpv is installed as follows:

[I] media-video/mpv
     Available versions:  0.32.0-r1^t **9999*l^t {+X +alsa aqua archive bluray
cdda +cli coreaudio cplugins cuda debug doc drm dvb dvd +egl gamepad gbm +iconv
jack javascript jpeg lcms +libass libcaca libmpv +lua luajit openal +opengl oss
pulseaudio raspberry-pi rubberband samba sdl selinux test tools +uchardet vaapi
vdpau vulkan wayland +xv zimg zlib PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_6 python3_7
python3_8"}
     Installed versions:  0.32.0-r1^t(08:15:17 AM 05/16/2020)(X alsa cdda cli
cuda dvb dvd egl iconv jpeg lcms libass lua luajit opengl oss rubberband sdl
uchardet xv zlib -aqua -archive -bluray -coreaudio -cplugins -debug -doc -drm
-gamepad -gbm -jack -javascript -libcaca -libmpv -openal -pulseaudio
-raspberry-pi -samba -selinux -test -tools -vaapi -vdpau -vulkan -wayland -zimg
PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_7 -python3_6 -python3_8")
     Homepage:            https://mpv.io/ https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv

The USE flag "cuda" - therefore mpv should be able to utilize the
GPU...

Cheers!
Meino