On Wed, 20 May 2020 13:53:03 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> > And searching for other  language codes  irrelevant to me  gives
> > similar results.   I've already thought  about adding  "-nls"  to the
> > global USE flags, but I'm fearing to lose "en-GB" that way.
>
> I see what you mean. I'm just remerging @world with -nls, but it causes
> 95 rebuilds, including a lot of kde-frameworks packages, so I've copied
> my packages directory in case your fear is borne out. I'll let you know.

I've run systems without nls in the past and it works well, after all OUR
English is a native language ;-)

Seriously though, nls enables support for different character sets AFAIR.

I've been running with en-GB for years and haven't had the problems the
OP reported. For example, the shadow ebuild only includes the English man
page. As a kludge, you can use INSTALL_MASK to block installation of
other languages, but finding the cause of this behaviour would be
preferable.

--
Neil Bothwick

Voting Democrat or Republican is like choosing a cabin in the Titanic.