On Monday, 8 June 2020 16:32:07 BST Andrew Udvare wrote:

> Sounds like missing drivers. oldconfig didn't do everything it was
> supposed to. Moving across multiple major versions, this is to be
> expected. A lot of names of things have changed.
>
> Do a comparison of your configuration between old and new.
>
> diff -uN old-config-file /usr/src/linux/.config

Hmm. 4570 lines, but much of it can be discounted.

> Make sure to at least enable NVME with CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NVME=y and try
> booting 5.7 again.

Yes, they were both set already - I couldn't have booted 5.4.38 without them.

> Other than that, the naming scheme may have changed but I don't know about
> this. For better future-proofing, use a UUID of your root partition rather
> than a device name.
>
> root=UUID=...
>
> You can get this UUID with the blkid command.

I'll try this in a minute - thanks for the idea. I've stuck with device names
so far because (i) I can read them, and (ii) I can't ever have more than one
NVMe device in this box.

--
Regards,
Peter.