On Sunday, 14 June 2020 13:06:32 BST Wynn Wolf Arbor wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On 2020-06-14 12:43, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > Afternoon all,
> >
> > Has anyone some experience of bitwarden on Gentoo? It doesn't run for
> > me, and I suspect a java problem. I have icedtea here.
> >
> > I'm talking about the installed version, not the firefox extension,
> > which seems to work.
>
> Which installed version are you talking about? I don't see the Bitwarden
> desktop or command line app in the tree - I guess you downloaded one
> from their site?

Yes, it isn't in the tree. I've tried both the Appimage version and the .rpm,
the latter after rpm2targz. I installed them in my home directory.

> I used to run the desktop app myself, and am pretty sure it does not
> require a Java runtime. If you use the AppImage version, there might be
> certain libs missing (tested it out just now, and it fails to start
> because it cannot find libsecret).
>
> Have you tried running it from the command line to see what it says?

Yes; this is what I get:

$ ./Bitwarden*/opt/Bitwarden/bitwarden
A JavaScript error occurred in the main process
Uncaught Exception:
Error: /tmp/.org.chromium.Chromium.QkN0cP: failed to map segment from shared
object
--->8

I haven't played with java before, so I'm trying to follow the gentoo wiki. My
first question is whether I need a jdk as well as a jre. The wiki talks
blithely about virtual machines, and I'm left to guess whether the jre is the
jvm, as it seems. I'm currently installing openjre and openjdk; icedtea-bin is
also installed.

--
Regards,
Peter.