On 7/7/20 9:20 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
On Tue, Jul 07, 2020 at 01:47:31PM -0400, james wrote

Good news: I have dozens of potential solutions to what you seek. I will
post a few, that best (potentially) satisfy your solution-request.
Please let me know what your try and what is wrong with what I suggest.
(it helps me).

Bad news: I am currently very disorganized.

   Thay all seem to come with various software pre-installed that I don't
need/want.  I decided to try a quickie manual install, but ran into
problems, which are a separate thread.  Just one semi-related question
here.  Do I still need both LINGUAS and L10N in make.conf?  On my
desktop I currently have...

Well, cant you just use one of the first 2 and then just edit/add to your world file?

With modest resources, it is often best to use an existing binary, and build out the next/older version with that existing binary as a ref. Older systems with modest resources, can easily be 'burned' if you have them compile too much or too long. I often open them up, and put a 12" fan blowing hard to keep the resources cool, especially for large compiles... ymmv.