On 12/7/20 6:03 pm, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> echo bfq > /sys/block/sda/queue/schedule

Thanks for the hints,

    ive gone with schedtool and ionice for now (seems to be working) and
will configure that as the defaults when this run finishes.  I have not
built the bfq scheduler in this kernel so will give that a try later -
its currently using mq-deadline with a WD blue SSD (will bfq be better
than a deadline on an ssd? - will try it and see). It has 4g ram and 4g
swap with about half in use - in normal running swap isn't used much, if
at all.

As well as emerge, the io load is also coming from the network as I have
3x1g bonded interfaces routing busy vlans including a moosefs SAN and a
100mhz uplink which was suffering delays and timeouts.  The root cause
is trying to do too much with too little - :)

BillK