Am Sonntag, 6. September 2020, 16:39:27 EEST schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
> On 06/09/2020 10:48, Walter Dnes wrote:
> >    I notice that there is a "rust-bin" ebuild present.  If nothing else,
> >
> > I'd like to switch over to that to save the notebook from unnecessary
> > grinding when rust updates.  What's the procedure for selecting it?
>
> emerge -C dev-lang/rust
> emerge -a1 virtual/rust dev-lang/rust-bin
> emerge -auD @world
> emerge -a --depclean

That works, but pretty please try something else first!

# make sure source-based rust is not in the world file
emerge --deselect dev-lang/rust

emerge -1 dev-lang/rust-bin

It should be as easy as that. *If* all dependencies are fulfilled by both rust
and rust-bin, then the second emerge call will unmerge rust and merge rust-
bin.

--
Andreas K. Hüttel
dilfri...@gentoo.org