On 2020-09-07, Andreas K  Hüttel <dilfri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> That works, but pretty please try something else first!
>
> # make sure source-based rust is not in the world file
> emerge --deselect dev-lang/rust
>
> emerge -1 dev-lang/rust-bin
>
> It should be as easy as that. *If* all dependencies are fulfilled by
> both rust and rust-bin, then the second emerge call will unmerge
> rust and merge rust- bin.

It did not.  I executed the two commands shown above (the first
reported that no such atom was found in the world file).  I ended up
with both dev-lang/rust and dev-lang/rust-bin installed.

When I subsequently ran "emerge --depclean --ask" it wanted to unmerge
dev-lang/rust-bin.

I had to manually unmerge dev-lang/rust to get rid of it (which then
prevented --depclean from trying to unmerge rust-bin).

--
Grant