Franz Fellner wrote:
> On Mon Sep  7 22:05:36 2020, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another question.  I use top to see what is using the CPU so much.  When
>> it is Dolphin, I can't tell which window it is.  I sometimes have a few
>> instances of Dolphin open at the same time.  Sometimes I have my spot
>> marked by highlighting a file or files.  If I kill it, I don't get to
>> write down where I was.  Thing is, I can't tell from top which window it
>> is that is using the CPU more than it should.  Is there a way to figure
>> out which process goes with which window or running instance of
>> Dolphin?  In top, it shows a ID number like this.
> In a console run:
>
> xprop _NET_WM_PID
>
> Your cursor will turn into a crosshair.
> now click on the first dolphin window.
> In the console you now get something like
>
> _NET_WM_PID(CARDINAL) = 576073
>
> Compare the number with the PID in top from the dolphin instance
> with high CPU usage.
> If it is the same you have your instance.
> If not repeat with the next dolphin window.

I have a lot of desktops here.  If I run that command in a Konsole, can
I still click to switch to the desktop that Dolphin is running on?  I
have to click to switch since the usual offender is on desktop 12, 13 or
14.  I can't switch there with the F keys.  It seems something else uses
those shortcuts.

Now to read up a little on that command.  Never heard of it before.

Dale

:-)  :-)