On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 10:09:00PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> missing lots of accessibility-related material.
> I've installed several other versions of Linux before and got them
> accessible using material found mostly on the internet for instructions.
> The first one was RedHat 5.0 when that was a current distribution.
> After that, slackware, debian, fedora ubuntu arch-linux coconut and jenux.
> Anyone interested could do a youtube search for gentoo, and I'm pretty
> sure you'll find I wasn't the only potential installer who ran into all
> manner of unexpected behavior.

YouTube probably isn't the  best  source  of  information  for  technical  Linux
documentation.  Asking here on the mailing list is always good; the  appropriate
IRC channels can be helpful, too.  Gentoo does not hold your hand and provide  a
pretty GUI for every potential option and use-case, because its range of  target
consumers is far too broad.  The "all manner  of  unexpected  behaviour"  you're
encountering is just the feeling of having  to  do  some  of  the  heavy-lifting
yourself, which is certainly not a negative remark on Gentoo!

If you have a very specific and niche issue, you can also reach out directly  to
the Gentoo Accessibility  Project  in  different  forms  (#gentoo-accessibility;
accessibil...@gentoo.org; gentoo-accessibil...@lists.gentoo.org) [1].

> An A gentoo accessibility install podcast ought to have been available for
> this distribution many years ago.

A podcast for all accessibility use-cases in Gentoo would, once  again,  be  far
too broad and help  only  a  minority  of  potentially  interested  viewers.   A
dedicated espeak(up) page on the Gentoo wiki would be  great,  however.   I  was
rather surprised to see that one didn't exist.

> A feature that would be useful for menuconfig would be the ability once a
> search is done to jump onto the desired search item directly (if the item
> were available at all).
> Maybe that's communicated by colors, I don't know.

Currently, the closest thing menuconfig provides is detailing  the  location  of
the `CONFIG_` option, in relation to the  graphical  menus  one  must  navigate.
Sometimes it's just easier to edit your `.config` manually;  menuconfig  can  be
terribly slow and cumbersome when  you're  only  searching  the  option  titles.

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Accessibility

--

Ashley Dixon
suugaku.co.uk