On Saturday, 14 November 2020 18:48:57 GMT Jude DaShiell wrote:
> On 2020-11-14, Jude DaShiell <jdash...@panix.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 14 Nov 2020, Grant Edwards wrote:
> >> Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 17:30:51
> >> From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com>
> >> To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> >> Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gentoo handbook

> >> I don't understand what you mean above.  What is a "distribution
> >> ISO"?
> >
> > In your case it probably starts with install-minimal and you got it
> > off the gentoo downloads page.
>
> I've installed Gentoo using variety of distros: systemrescuecd,
> Ubuntu, install-minimal, etc.  I never noticed that it mattered what
> init system was in use during the install.

Same here.  I even used to cook my own systemrescuecd to include some wireless
and video firmwares to suit different MoBos.  Booting and installing in UEFI
Vs Legacy BIOS boils down to selecting any Linux LiveISO suitable for UEFI
booting and in the MoBo's UEFI GUI menu setting the boot mode to EFI or Legacy
BIOS.

During installation you should download the appropriate stage3 tarball[1] to
correspond to the desired Gentoo profile[2].  Choosing a profile after you
chroot is part of the installation steps.  If you decide to switch profile
later on it is usually easy (except for no-multilib), but be prepared for some
reconfiguring of your compile options and rebuilding of your @world set.

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/
Stage#Choosing_a_stage_tarball

[2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/