On 24/11/2020 16:51, Grant Edwards wrote:
On 2020-11-24, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 16:38:59 -0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

But actual partitions?

Yes. Each with a separate Linux distro installed.

Perhaps you can do that with a volume manager instead of partitions
(using partitions has worked fine for the past 20 years, so I've
never looked into it).

Of course you can, and it makes adding and removing distros much
simpler.

Cool, I'll have to read up on using volumes for that. How far back in
time can you go before you get to distros that would have problems?

How old is LVM? It's been around for ages, I think. The other nice advantage of LVM is that if you've got a big archive disk, you can migrate the partitions to that disk and move them off of your live system (but you can migrate them back if you need them).

Personally, I wouldn't use dm-crypt, but then I'm not particularly into crypto.

Read up on it, but I would be surprised if it didn't support stuff right back to last century.

Cheers,
Wol