On 2020-11-25, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> That was my thinking, that the kernel/initramfs was reading the LVs but
> Grant mentioned the lvm module for GRUB so I broke the habit of a
> lifetime and read the man page :-O
>
> "GRUB 2 can read files directly from LVM and RAID devices."

That was certainly the behavior described by the examples documented
by people who were using grub to boot multiple partitions by having a
master copy of grub with a menu that would then boot selected distros
installed within LVM volumes by having each of the master menu entries
load a new "distro" .cfg file from that LVM volume (each of the LVM
volume's .cfg file was maintained by the distro package manager).

But that relys on the assumption that the distros all run compatible
versions of Grub2.  What I was wondering was whether normal
chainloading would work (which wouldn't rely on that assumption).

--
Grant