On 12/01/2020 07:18 AM, Michael wrote:
> On Monday, 30 November 2020 22:52:05 GMT the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
>
>> Access based on IP address works from .htaccess with Files directive:
>>
>> <Files *>
>>    Require ip 10.0.0.109
>> </Files>
>>
>> But it doesn't read AuthType Basic, it doesn't ask me for any password.
>>
>> AuthName "restricted stuff"
>> AuthType Basic
>> AuthUserFile "/etc/apache2/users"
>> require user webmaster
>>
>> It seems to me Apache 2.4 is very limited what can, and can not go into
>> .htaccess.
>
> OK, probably Authentication takes precedence from Authorization on apache 2.4.
>
> Since you prefer to use .htaccess rather than a central apache config, let's
> check if this works in your /admin/.htaccess:
>
> ===========================
> AuthName "restricted stuff"
> AuthType Basic
> AuthUserFile "/etc/apache2/users"
> <RequireAll>
>    Require ip 10.0.0.100
>    Require user webmaster
> </RequireAll>
> ==========================
>
> It should allow you to connect and then request username and passwd from IP
> 10.0.0.100, but return '403 Forbidden' for clients connecting from any other
> IP address, without requesting authentication.

WOW! it worked, it worked!
Thank you Michael!
IP works and AuthType Basic works too.

Why? It seems to me Apache 2.4 is very picky where/and order directives
are.  So much more to learn.  For basic operation I prefer .htaccess
files, it is much simpler and easier to block spammers, no need to
restart the main server, just update .htaccess file.

Thank you again!