On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 5:48 PM <the...@sys-concept.com> wrote:

> I'll stick with "mbox" type.

Ok, we'll go with a traditional mbox mailbox in /var/spool/mail/$user

> > Step 2 - We'll confirm postfix is configured appropriately for that
> > choice and that it is delivering mail to the right place using shell
> > commands (cat/etc) and not touch thunderbird.
> >
> I was under impression that dir name shouldn't be a problem as long as
> it is the correct type "mbox"
> Since postifx main.cf had already
> home_mailbox = .maildir
> so I use it, instead of defining my own.

If you want a traditional mbox format then you should unset
home_mailbox, and set:
mail_spool_directory = /var/spool/mail

Then restart postfix.  If you send mail to your user you should see a
file created if it doesn't exist called /var/spool/mail/username,
readable by that user, and if you run cat on it you should see that it
contains your email.

--
Rich