On 12/12/2020 11:00 PM, Victor Ivanov wrote:
> On 13/12/2020 03:07, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
>> if you have UEFI system most likely your "boot" partition is some form
>> of "vfat"
>
> I strongly disagree with this statement. Most Linux distributions,
> including Gentoo, advise (or outright default to) having your /boot
> partition either separate, or having /boot as part of your root
> filesystem. And this is very sensible indeed.
>
> Personally, I would even go further by saying that /boot should be
> journaled (e.g. ext4). Most distros do that by default.
>
> A UEFI set-up only requires the EFI system partition to be vfat. It does
> not require the kernel or the ramdisk to be on it. GRUB2 can be
> configured to install only its own EFI-related files on the EFI system
> partition, then reading the kernel and the grub config file from your
> /boot partition:
>
>   # grub-install --efi-directory=/path/to/efi --boot-directory=/boot/efi
> /dev/[nvme...|sd...]
>
> You do not need CSM enabled for this.
>
> Unfortunately, sometimes guides put the EFI partition mount point to be
> a directory within the /boot directory (e.g. /boot/efi) which itself can
> be the mount point for the boot partition. This can lead to people
> formatting both as vfat or indeed using the EFI partition itself in lieu
> of a separate /boot partition. I am not suggesting this is what happened
> in your case, but I have seen it happen.
>
> Now if you use a different boot loader (e.g. rEFInd) it is up to that
> bootloader to have relevant support for the filesystem that your /boot
> partition is using.
>
>> fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24) open: no such file or directory
>>
>> There is a similar related bug filed about it (but I don't know why is
>> it marked resolved)
>> https://bugs.gentoo.org/306119
>
> I don't think this issue is related wrt the root cause. But
> force-checking for filesystem errors certainly revealed the issue for
> your case: you don't have the fsck.fat binary in your initramfs. As a
> result, the filesystem checking process fails, the boot process is
> interrupted prematurely, and you're dropped into a shell to investigate.
> This is normal behaviour when an error occurs before the boot process
> switches to the real root.
>
> One option is to disable filesystem checking for vfat - like you did,
> another is to make sure that the mkfs.fat binary is included in the
> ramdisk image. I am not sure how the latter would be best achieved with
> genkernel, perhaps others can advise on this.
>
> - Victor

You are absolutely correct. I'm an old timer, before there was no need
for initramfs.
One of my 10-year old system is still running /boot with ext2; never had
a problem.
HD is making noise and they system was running 24/7.  But it is slowly
failing, might be HD or memory.

I was following the Gentoo handbook, maybe I didn't read it correctly
and/or miss the information on alternative setting.  I didn't see any
explanation that I need to have support for "fsck.fat".
I better stay away from any "vfat" format on boot partition, and I don't
see a reason to have initramfs (another complexity).