‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Friday, December 25, 2020 4:32 PM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 15:07:59 +0000, caveman رجل الكهف wrote:
>
> > hi. i just want to help a bit by sharing a
> > thought that i think is useful to the civilisation
> > of life forms in general:
> >
> >     - new year celebrations are wasteful in
> >       several ways (e.g.  waste on needless
> >       purchases [aka gifts], useless fireworks,
> >       useless trees with socks on them, etc).
> >
> >     - the vacation is nice to allow potential good
> >       use of it.  but even this is usually abused
> >       by most people as they end up just wasting
> >       it alongside their money for purely doing
> >       silly things such as purposeless tourism.
> >

> Dear Ebenezer,
>
> Some of us would welcome the opportunity to waste time with their
> families over Christmas and the New Year, instead of having to spend it
> isolating at home following a positive COVID-19 test.
>
> Don't underestimate the therapeutic value of doing nothing with the people
> that are important to you.

i'm not against that.  in fact, this goes in the
list of the productive things.  remember, i said
"not limited to"?  i literally stated that my list
of productive things is not exhaustive.

spending time with family is productive, since
it's an opportunity to inspect the situation of
family members to help them become even better
people.  this happens implicitly even though
dad/mom doesn't say "hey kids time for annual
performance inspection!".

it's part of us which we inherited from evolution
that actually helps maximise our survival.  there
is a reason why we've evolved to like it.

but, worthy to note, not everything we like is
good.  e.g. there are bugs in evolution.  e.g.
some people enjoy drugs up to a point they become
addicts.  this is not inline with survival
maximisation, so we can say this is a
vulnerability in evolution that drug dealers try
to exploit.

rgrds,
ebonzer.