On 10/01/2021 21:42, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
I want to move /home directory to a new partition (save drive).

I have 1-SSD drive:
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use%
/dev/sda4       916G  405G  464G  47% /

Home directory is on it taking about 360GB

I was planning doing it in stages.

Stage-1
Using Gparted to resize "/" portion shirk it to about 450GB
create new ext4 partition  for /home /dev/sda5

Boot-strap the PC with live-gentoo
mv /home /home.org
mkdir /home
mount ext4 /dev/sda5 /home/

cp -rp /home.org/*  /home/

edit fstab:
/dev/sda5       /home   ext4    default  0  0
reboot and test home

Am I missing something?

Couple of things.

Firstly, why use a gentoo live disk? Just log in as root.

Secondly, why rename home? Just mount sda5 on /mnt to do the move, then add it to fstab to mount on /home.

And a little bit you might have missed - DON'T put root's home on a mounted disk - if it's currently in /home, move it to /. Don't forget to edit /etc/passwd if you have to move it.

If everything works, remove /home.org

Stage-2:
With Gparted resize both root and home portion, giving root about 200GB and
rest to /home (dev/sda5)

The other way to do it is if you've got a spare hard drive lying around. Just copy /home onto it (bearing in mind my comment about root's home), and then copy it back.

But what do you mean by "save drive"? Just splitting the drive into 2 partitions won't do anything, will it? If you want to "save the drive" I think you need to move /home to spinning rust :-) Unless you're physically updating the hardware, I wouldn't bother.

Cheers,
Wol