I use Plex via Docker and it works great.  Super simple to setup a
docker-compose file to bring it up (or even a simple script to 'docker
run...').  Data stored on a zpool made up of a pair of 3-drive vdevs.  More
complex than random FreeNAS/Unraid/Whatever setup, but if you're
comfortable enough to use Gentoo, I don't think figuring out ZFS and Docker
is much of a stretch.