On Fri, 2021-02-05 at 09:36 +0000, Michael wrote:
> Wouldn't a binary distro, potentially purpose built as a NAS and/or HTPC
> offering, make more sense?  I don't see what advantage the maintenance burden
> of a Gentoo system has to offer in this use case, other than repurposing with
> little effort an existing Gentoo installation.  :-/

Running Gentoo on my home server makes the maintenance burden *lower*
for me because I can use all the same tools I'm used to.  Besides,
portage is the pinnacle of package managers IMHO.  Using a GNU+Linux
system without USE flags and such feels like I'm stuck in a hallway,
with someone else's idea of how software should be configured and
deployed.

tl;dr I like Gentoo