I have some more information.   If I  chmod 777 on
/etc/modprobe.d/zfs.conf  it says options command not found, options
is the first word in the file which is
options zfs zfs_arc_max=0x100000000

Now if I put the files together on one line I get
/etc/dracut.conf:install_items+= "/etc/modprobe.d/zfs.conf
/etc/systemd/system/initrd-switch-root.service"

white spaces!
dracut: WARNING: This will lead to unwanted side effects! Please fix
the configuration file.

/etc/dracut.conf: line 54: /etc/modprobe.d/zfs.conf
/etc/systemd/system/initrd-switch-root.service: No such file or
directory

It seems to be treating it as one file.  If I separate the files into
two install_items lines, I get what I described in the original
message.

On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 09:39:38 -0500,
John Covici wrote:

> Hi.  I am having problems running dracut 0.51-r2 and 0.50-r2.  The
> problem is that I have two  install_items lines like this
> install_items+= /etc/modprobe.d/zfs.conf
> install_items+= /etc/systemd/system/initrd-switch-root.service
>
> and dracut says permission denied on both of them.  They are owned by
> root and are world readable and containing directories look good.  I
> even did an strace, but did not find where it tried to open those
> files.  I have been using dracut for years and never had this problem
> till recent versions.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> --
> Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
> How do
> you spend it?
>
>          John Covici wb2una
>          cov...@ccs.covici.com