On 2/14/21 11:26 AM, Michael wrote:
These are the services using port 445:

445     TCP     SMB     Fax Service
445     TCP     SMB     Print Spooler
445     TCP     SMB     Server
445     TCP     SMB     Remote Procedure Call Locator
445     TCP     SMB     Distributed File System Namespaces
445     TCP     SMB     Distributed File System Replication
445     TCP     SMB     License Logging Service
445     TCP     SMB     Net Logon

ACK

Right, it isn't. My bad. FS Namespaces mapping uses port 445, a different function - see URL at the bottom.

Ah. Maybe a term collision between "Namespaces" and "name (to IP) resolution".

All I found from a random search in the interwebs, is the following link. Port 445 is used for file/printer data sharing as discussed. It is also used for 'Distributed File System Namespaces' across different domains - but this is not DNS-IP resolution.

Yep. DFS, being a pseudo / logical server, needs to be found just like actual servers. That makes complete sense. \\DFS\LogicalServer is really at \\CorpServer\ShareA and \\BranchServer\ShareB, take your pick. By the way, CorpServer is at the corporate HQ through the WAN link and BranchServer is at the same branch office as you.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/networking/ service-overview-and-network-port-requirements

Thank you for the link.  I will read it in the coming days as time permits.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die